Making a decorative mirror with Driftwood


How to make a Decorative Mirror with Driftwood

 On a vacation visiting my In Laws last year we took out the boat to check lobster traps. I had been talking to my husband about getting driftwood from Maine to bring home for a project. While checking the lobster traps in the bay we stopped and checked out one of the islands for driftwood. 


I hit the Jack Pot! I was also lucky that my Father in Law had a hand saw on board the boat. I picked out the driftwood I liked piled it on the boat and sent it home in a box back to Florida. 






Here is what you need to make the mirror

Different shapes and sizes of driftwood

I picked out a $14 mirror from Ikea, Kolja round mirror. The mirror is 22" in length and width.

Bought I piece of Plywood from Home depot cut to 2ft x 2ft.

I also bought a hanging kit to attach to the plywood.


Rustoleum White spray paint with Paint and Primer.

- I spray painted the front of the plywood white.
-I laid the mirror down on the plywood, I moved the mirror around until it was centered on the plywood. 
- I took a pencil and drew around them mirror so I had an outline on the plywood.
- I took the clips that hold the mirror in place and attached them to the plywood. 
- After the mirror was attached I took out the table saw and started to cut my drift wood into pieces. I would cut pieces of wood and start to play them round the mirror like a puzzle, layering them on top of each other as well as covering up the plywood and the outer edges of the mirror.
-Once I was happy with the arrangement I took a picture of the placement and took a couple pieces of drift wood off at a time and spray painted them white. 
- After the paint dried, I took nail gun and nailed the pieces into place. I attached a bottom layer first that covered the plywood and then layered wood pieces on top and nailed them on top of other pieces of wood. 





Here is the end result after all the driftwood has been nailed into place.



I bought different sizes of the Ribba frames from Ikea. Took out the glass and backing. Took left over pieces of driftwood and nailed them to the frames.














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Retreat Makeover

More Space Saving packing!

Hutch Makeover finally finished