New life in old Ikea night stands and dresser!



New life in our old Ikea Furniture



 


The night stands in our Master bedroom are from Ikea and part of the Malm series. We bought our night stands and dressers a couple of years ago when we lived in our condo. They are still in good shape but they are lack luster in our bedroom.




What do you do when your husband says NO to new furniture? You make over your current furniture. This project really didn't take much time and money to complete. I was able to get this project completed in 2 days. 

To give our bedroom furniture new life I turned to my favorite spot for inspiration Pinterest. There is a company called O'verlays,this company makes decorative fretwork panels for Ikea furniture. You choose which style of Ikea furniture you have and they give you the options of fretwork for your furniture piece. I picked one style for the night stands and one style for the dresser. 


Supplies for this project
  1. Zinsser Oil based Primer
            2. Rustolem metallic gold spray paint
3. Medium Density rollers   
                   4. Hi-gloss enamel ( I used Behr pure white)
                5. Liquid nails for attaching fretwork to cabinets
                 6. Paint supplies,plastic drop clothes and
paint trays







I brought all the furniture pieces into the garage and set them up to make it easy for me to paint. Using the high density rollers I rolled on the Zinsser primer. Zinsser primer is amazing because you don't need to sand Veneer you can roll it on and it sticks. After reading a few reviews using the oil based Zinsser is better then the water base. The other great thing about Zinsser primer is that you can use Latex paint right over it. 




I laid out paper on the floor in the garage and laid out the fretwork. I used 2 cans Rustolem Metallic gold paint to spray the fretwork. Make sure you walk around the entire decorative panel so the top, bottom and sides all get painted. Let the panels dry for 15 to 20 minutes before you install onto the furniture.




Once the fretwork panels have dried lay them onto your furniture and measure to see where you want the fretwork to land on the cabinet. My fretwork panels for the tops of my night stands were to long so I used a razor blade to cut off the extra material.




After I was happy with were all the fretwork panels landed I turned them over and used Liquid nails to attach the panels to my furniture.








 
The finished results of the dresser and night stand look great! The first picture is the dresser that is in our spare bedroom while the night stands are in our master bedroom. 















Comments

  1. Your creativity and dedication to repurpousing furniture is amazing. It looks new and unique which is whatbi love the most. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your creativity and dedication to repurpousing furniture is amazing. It looks new and unique which is whatbi love the most. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Retreat Makeover

More Space Saving packing!

Hutch Makeover finally finished