Rattan Patio set makeover




Rattan Patio Chair Makeover



I went to my favorite thrift store Faith Farm last week and found this Rattan patio set for $30.00.


The horrible red spray paint job didn't stop me from seeing the potential this set would have in a new color. I was drawn to this set not only for my love of Rattan furniture but to save this set from bad taste. 



Here is a list of the supplies I used:

I went to Walmart and purchased 8 cans of Rust-Oleum painters touch paint. 
The paint cans were $3.86 each. This spray paint is an oil based paint. 





- I went to Home Depot and bought Rust-Oleum protective enamel in gloss white. This is an oil based paint that you will need if you are using oil based spray paints as the base paint. Latex paint will not stick to oil base paint.
- I also bought sand paper to sand in between coats of paint. I picked up 220 fine Grit. 

- I used a cheap paint brush for painting on the oil based paint

Painting process
- I took all the chairs and the table base outside into the yard and placed them on a plastic drop cloth. I turned all the chairs upside down and used the spray paint to spray underneath the chairs. After the chairs dried I turned them over and sprayed the front and backs of the chairs.

 - Once the chairs were completely dry(I waited one day)I took the chairs into the garage and set up my sawhorses. I placed the chairs on top of the sawhorses so I was able to paint underneath the chairs and the front and backs of the chairs at the same time.

 -I used the 220 grit sand paper to smooth out any rough patches that I got on the chairs from the spray paint. Sometimes the spray paint comes out in small clumps and can make the surface rough. The sandpaper will take away the rough patches and make it easier to paint on the next coat of paint. 

- Using the paint brush I painted over the spray painted chairs with the Rust- Oleum protective enamel. A tip when painting with oil based paint, you want to make sure you only brush the paint on one stroke at a time. If you try to brush the paint back and forth like you would with Latex paint the paint doesn't stick well. Wait for the oil paint to dry before you add more on. 

- This is the first time I have used the protective enamel paint and it has been a good experience. I like the smooth glossy finish it has left on the chairs. Spraying the chairs first helped to cover about 80% of the chair. Brushing on the paint after helps to get into the area's that were missed and gives a nice finish. 

Here is the finished product! 










Comments

  1. Looks great Jamie! I can't wait to see it with the cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your new logo! Your website is amazing. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Retreat Makeover

More Space Saving packing!

Hutch Makeover finally finished